Monday, February 2, 2015

Why Nicaragua? Part I

In the past a lot of people have asked me why I chose to come to Nicaragua and since this February marks my five year anniversary here, I thought it was about time I broke it down for those who don't know.

PART I


My journey to Nicaragua started back in 2008. I met a couple serving at the branch in Nicaragua. They're enthusiasm for the place was contagious. Another couple from my hall so intrigued by their stories made their own promises to visit Nicaragua on the spot.



I admit freely and with some shame now that my response had been quite different. I said something along the lines of:

'Nicaragua, I don't think so. I don't speak any Spanish.'
Followed up by:

'I'm already serving where the need is, I'm in ASL!'

Yeah, I'm embarrassed that those words came out of my mouth but it wouldn't be the first time I heard them so at least I was prepared. 


A single sister in my congregation encouraged me after a very long heart to heart to reexamine my feelings on the matter. On one hand I was asking for Jehovah's direction and with the other actively pursuing my own agenda. She said something that I'd never forget. It went something like this:

'You can't know what doors will be open to you unless you get up the courage and faith to knock.'

I sort of assumed that I already knew what she meant by that but she clarified it for me anyway, and I'm so glad she did. I'd been feeling like I'd reached my maximum potential, like I was doing everything I could do in Jehovah's service. She mentioned that as a single sister I have a lot more options for reaching out available to me than I had considered. Bethel, RBC, and going to where the need is greater being the big three. She said that if I really had faith in Jehovah and trusted him I'd knock on each door and let Jehovah decide where he wanted me.

That conversation stuck with me and after prayerful consideration I applied to Bethel, RBC and I applied to the International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses 2009. 

I heard back from all three.

Not at all what I was expecting. 

While exploring my options stateside I was getting more and more information about Nicaragua and the need there in sign language. Especially after the convention, I felt the pull to do more by traveling outside of my comfort zone to support the preaching work activity. 

The trouble came when I started making plans to finally visit...

That's my story in a nutshell of why I decided to go to Nicaragua in the first place. To see how I got there check out my next post here.

S:-)

3 comments:

  1. I love this post Shelina! You and Shawn have been a huge encouragement to me and a great example self sacrificing spiritual sisters who aren't letting anything hold them back. You are both amazing, and I have so much to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love. Your support and visits are so appreciated. We're going to miss you tons!

      Delete
    2. Andrea, that's so sweet! I'm the one who feels self-conscious with you those. I'm only a few hours from home...you were in Nepal!!! And learning a crazy difficult language!! You're amazing!

      Delete