Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My First Deaf Visitor

This year I had my first deaf visitor from the states. Her name is Marquida and we met at an assembly a few years back. Her expressions were similar to many people's of awe and shock and then the perfunctory 'I'm going to come visit you.'



Here's me putting my hand in a hot air pocket on the way to volcano. (Yeah it's warm!)

  I have to be honest and say that a lot of people say that to me. The majority of them are friends and family. I've had 2 people come to visit me in the last 5 years. I'm not mad it's just something people say now. 'I'm going to come and visit you' is the same as 'keep in touch,' or 'we should get together.' It's said without any real meaning behind it and culturally I don't get offended when people don't make specific plans or follow through, we've all done it.





With that in mind, imagine my surprise when I got an email from a sister that I'd met years ago who said, oh by the way, I'm buying my ticket and these are my dates. 'I'm coming!'







I wish we'd gotten in a video interview. I meant to but when she comes down again I'm going to make sure it happens. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention she's coming back in September 2015. Can't wait. Want to meet her? Well, you're welcome to come down yourself!

S:-)

3 comments:

  1. How nice! And what fun for the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM GOING TO VISIT YOU!!!! Tomorrow, with Alixe haha see you :)

    ReplyDelete