Friday, January 17, 2014

ADVENTURES IN NICARAGUA: NO (WO)MAN IS AN ISLAND

To those of you who also follow my roomie's blog you can disregard this re-blog of a post she did earlier this week.

To those of you who don't follow hers, this post resonated so much with me that I wanted to share it. Please check out the link and then come back to see my personal comments on it below.

ADVENTURES IN NICARAGUA: NO (WO)MAN IS AN ISLAND: This is a RANT.  A pure, unadulterated rant.  If you're up to reading a rant, keep going, please.  If not, better you just leave now...

My Comments:

First let me say, I'm not going to lie and tell you I'm lonely. I do have the occasional comment and email from my closest friends. But that being said. Where is everybody else at?

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone or a tablet or both. (I know there are still people that don't have a computer or a phone. I'm exaggerating for the purpose of being dramatic.)  I'm forced to assume if you wanted to know how I'm doing or what life is like in Nicaragua that you'd do me the courtesy of reading this blog to find out. No blood required to get an automatic update, just an email. Like Shawn, I set it up for YOU! You know who you are: 

"Hey, what's it like in Nicaragua?"
"What's it like preaching in Nicaragua?"
"What do you guys do for fun in Nicaragua?"
"Do you have your own assembly in sign language?"
"Are you in a congregation or a group?"
"Do you like it?"
"How long are you going to be there?"

All of which are answered almost every time I post on this blog. I have to say, it would be great if you read my blog before you ask questions. It's not that I don't want to answer them. However, I took time out of my schedule to carefully word and post pictures with them so that you could not only hear about it but 'see' what it's like.

That being said, hopefully with some 'salt,' I don't believe friends can stay friends if you don't communicate and communication isn't just a blog, it's a conversation. There's a comment section below. It let's me know when I'm just posting things for myself. So if you like what you see or even if you don't, tell me by leaving me a comment. If you don't want to be public about it, I'm connected to the Internet down here we've got options, here are just a few:

Pinterest
Instagram
Google +
Skype
Facetime
iMessage

So, if we're still friends, feel free to contact me on anyone of them. I want to know how YOU are. It can be rough sometimes being away from you all, especially when no one tells you what's going on with them. When I come to visit it's not the same, finding out that seven months ago you got married, or had a baby, or moved. It makes me feel like we aren't as close as I thought we were. Maybe we're not, and that's good to know. 

I'm reaching out to all my friends who are following or reading this blog. If we're friends, please let me know!

S:-)

1 comment:

  1. O wow you were right this is a rant indeed!lol Funny in some places but i understand the point you're making. Its got to be difficult not being quite as 'in the loop' as you once were with old friends. I think about the wonderful experiences to be had in foreign service but I forget about the things (like friendships) that may be left behind when& if I get such a privilege.

    ReplyDelete